Wednesday 9 October 2013

SCUMM International


Seal-Beach-CA-2012e


With chapters in Western Australian and Southern California, I am pleased to announced that with have a person in France waving the flag for SCUMM

Peter Mission

The name is Peter & I'm an old kneeboarder turned mat rider, back problems forced it a couple of years ago.

  I've been riding mats in France for 5 years now, I think I'm the only one as I've never seen anyone else & everyone in the line up ether ignores me or laughs at me, generally until they see how fast the mat is or I run over them :))  French body-boarders tend to drop in on everyone.
  I have a question can someone become an "honorary" member of SCUMM, I think I qualify, I live on the south coast of France,  I'm a lapsed kneeboarder, also rare in France & the U.K., I'm about the same age as you blokes, I'm 66. AND I don't count myself a pom, I was born in Jersey in the Channel Islands that's NOT England :)). I started surfing there at 14 but was out of the water for some years, got back in on my 60th. birthday.  (yes we do have surf in the Mediterranean, in winter, summer I surf the S.W. Atlantic coast of France, Hossegore, Capbreton & Biarritz)
  How about it? I've had a lot of pleasure following your adventures, so thank you all, may be one day, I might make the trip to Australia, before I hang up my flippers.

   Very Best to you all. Peace

Of course Peter, you tick all the required boxes and you are most welcome to become a fully fledge SCUMM, looking forward to seeing where you surf in France.

Peter pictured below, a very fit 66 year old mat rider!
 
Seal Beach CA 2012a

 
My mat quiver consists of 2 MT5's a mark1 & a mark3 & from Paul Gross an Omni Blue streak, a 4GF standard & a little used round tail tracker. the mark1 MT5 is my go to mat on hollow days, the Omni on crumbly days & the standard when its onshore & choppy.
  I have attached some photos of where I surf, I don't have any of me surfing. Maybe Santa will bring me a Go-pro for Christmas :))
Cannes on a typical "wave" day in the winter the others are of my 2 favourite spots near Capbreton, France, La Prevent & la Piste. Oh & a couple of me :( pre & apres surf note the experimental flippers, actually they worked really well.

  Peace   Peter
 
Cannes

Cannes-Photos-0006-(1)
 
 
Capbreton La Prevent

Capbreton-La-Prevent-19-06-
 
 
Capbreton Sunday crowd La Prevent

Capbreton-Sunday-crowd-La-P
 
La Piste Friday 15 June a perfect day

La-Piste-Friday-15-June-a-p
 
Thanks again for the report Peter, your SCUMM stickers is in the post as I write.

 
ma3-OZ

 
Just Another Day on the South Coast

 
mick7
 

After having a relatively short working day , and hearing that the surf was okay and offshore, I was soon out of my work clothes and on my way to catch up da Bolt down at Mat Cove for a slide or two in the uncrowded, school holiday free ( yes the kids have gone back ! ) waves that were on offer. We were soon joined by Neal Cameron and his mate Paul, who had already had a surf early out of Gilligans, and came to see what our little reef had to offer.

 
mick6

 
With the high tide approaching fast and filling in the reef , the NE wind starting to blow its head off as well, it was decided to head back to Gilligans for some small but fun and uncrowded waves…..

 
camo

 
camo-1
 

camo-2
 

camo-3
 

camo-4
 

camo-5
 

camo-6
 

camo-8

 
Below is a short video I made from the few waves that Neal and I shared




 
Surfing Prone

Mick Mackie Belly Sliders

I bumped into Deano the other day in the car park at Cuddie ,  and he had his new belly glider in the car . He  kindly pulled it out for a peep. I have seen Dean riding prone on what I thought was ‘cut down ‘surfboards ‘but he soon corrected me with his past history , spending 10 years up on the NW coast, surfing Gnaraloo and the Bluff an then back down he on the South Coast, and always surfing prone on specifically built belly boards

mick5


mick4


mick


mick1


mick2


mick3

3 comments:

  1. Welcome SCUMM Brother Peter, glad that you see our stoke and realise what we realise... And Waka another great post mate.. the smile on Neal's dial says it all....
    Oily...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great as always Wak! Neal your a crackup!! The SCUMM hog!!
    Classic text book FUN.Way ta go crew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great as always Wak! Neal your a crackup!! The SCUMM hog!!
    Classic text book FUN.Way ta go crew!

    ReplyDelete