Thursday 6 December 2012

The Bucket List




Da Bolt does Hawaii


Finally after 40 years of surfing and waiting, I boarded Hawaii flight 425 and after 9 hours of cramptness  arrived in Honolulu…Item number ONE on my bucket list now achieved
  


 

 

 Item two was to surf Waikiki beach so I grabbed the 4gf and after 23 nervous breaths paddled out in “uncrowded” tropical water with just a “couple” of other friendly tourists.  



   



    



 

 

    



 

 


  After a couple of long 2 footers over the shallow reefs I  swapped the mat with a Novo who rides a Krypt, so I rode two waves on a 9ft softboard “hanging five baby”.. it was then off to try the culinary delights of the USA (Dennys). Item three on the list was to climb Diamond Head for the awesome view…” Tip one” take water and wear good joggers. Not like some fashion conscious tourist women who wore high heeled shoes. A great view and an easy 4 hour return stroll from Waikiki beach.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

Item four, was a 6 hour Pearl Harbour tour, so with a shared bus load  of USA mainlanders on board, we did what was a very informative and emotional journey into the past. I learnt about USA animals such as to get rid of gophers you buy a BIG cat as they are only the size of a rat….OH and to make a seppo laugh tell them you are from Cootamundra..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

  

  



 

 

   



 Item five…surf the Nth Shore ..it had been flat on the first 3 days but the morning report of 3 – 5 foot waves, sunny and offshore sounded GOOD…The vespa was itching for it, so after catching the number 55 bus from Ala Moana and having a great view of the “windward” side of the island I arrived at Velzyland with only 6 out and some nice reef peaks. I BOLTED out and had a ball for a couple of hours. Met John & Anthony two locals who gave me some helpful hints. Then a 3 mile walk past Sunset beach to PIPE, where I had a splash in the shorie. The sets were a long way apart and I was knackered …So caught the number 52 bus back to Waikiki (3 hours) as I had a date with “chilli’s” restaurant.
 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    



 

 

 

 

 

     

Thanksgiving was on and most shops were shut until 4 pm so after watching a very stoned totally naked local doing a hula dance at the Ala Moana bus terminal it was off surfing 3 offshore reefs along the Waikiki beach area. Walmart was a disappointment just like a big Kmart / Big W….Got me a hotdog and some fresh made pretzels for lunch …yummo… and after checking out the excellent “VIEWS” along the beach had another surf and  a big Kahuna Burger for tea…diet what diet ?? …just said NO to the extra fries and hash browns…Oh and coke in a bucket….

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) arrived and this is their BIG spending day with shops offering up to 50 % off everything…so I made a 5.45am start for the north shore. After another delightful bus ride got off at “Pupukea beach” had a great snorkel around the reef before walking down to Waimea Bay, sadly it was flat. Only two tiny waves in an hour. Had a swim, then off to Marijuanas and Alligator Rocks for some great “shallow” mat waves..after another 3 mile walk past heaps of surf spots (30 degrees and 85% humidity…Nice) I  made Haleiwa just in time to catch the 2.15 pm “the bus”  back to Waikiki. We drove thru a torrential rain storm. Tea was three shrimp tacos with coconut cream sauce and a some nachos. It was time to go for a wander and buy some T-shirts. One of the Friendly ladies walking the “street” offered me a great time for $200 sadly I had spent all my US dollars..she then offered to take Aussie dollars…gee they are all so helpful and friendly in Oahu….

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After a week(to short) it was time to grab a big feed of grilled Mahi Mahi before the LONG drag home…Would I go back “OH YEAH”….but longer and with Maui next time…hire a board next time you bet..
      Aloha…from Eric Da Bolt alias ..na na na na na Matman

 

  PS…most of the people I surfed with had rarely seen a mat rider and they were very “amused” at my antics…those who know me, know what I mean…

       






some short video moments below
































































































































































































































1 comment: