Saturday 1 September 2018

SCUMM Me Do Academy of Yewga


Beach Boot Camp at its Best
As we walked up to the lookout I could just see a friend of mine having a bit of a clean up, a whole garbage bag full of empty bottles, plastic bags and other assorted rubbish that had been left behind , its locals like this that make a difference to our environment and took no more than 30 minutes to pick up & bag!
Both Paul and I thanked him and apart from the usual small talk , we all took the moment  to watch the sun burst over the horizon. The surf had dropped from the previous day but there was still a little bit of east swell pulsing thru on the occasion , and then we heard a few cars pull up,  the sound cackling girls  , all with what look like surf mats under their arms , marching towards us. My old mate mentioned they were here the day before , it's a  ' Boot Camp ' he tells me just as the leader of the pack approaches where we were standing , who  I instantly recognize as the local SUP instructor. Hey whats going on Maddie? wheres the stand up paddle boards? This is a side business she tells me, so I take off to get change for a surf and by the time I walked back, they were no where to be seen, bar they all left their yoga mats on the lookout, and then I spotted them down on the beach having a photo session .


Well, I took the opportunity to lay my mat down and capture the moment with my camera , and proceeded  to run down the stairs and join the girls for a bit of pre- surf warm up , much to the laughter of Master Paul , and it was then that I remembered a post on the Surfmatters site called the Book of SCUMM Yoga ( SCUMM Yoga ) and then a funny thought crossed my mind, we could start our own dojo, calling it the SCUMM Do Me Academy of Yewga. 

Well after nearly pulling a hamstring  ( I was exhausted) that thought quickly left my twisted mind , and we both switched our attention to the small surf that was on hand.







SCUMM Me Do Yewga from adam williams on Vimeo.

                                SOFT TOYS R US 




We did manage to score a few waves, the water was crystal clean with a nice offshore, pity it was not a few feet bigger but with just Paul and myself out, we could be really selective and I might add that scoring the set of the day ( A 2ft wave at the 1.45) and getting barreled was almost the high lite of the session....

                                                      BORN TO BE ALIVE 


BORN TO BE ALIVE from adam williams on Vimeo.


many thanks to Master Paul to the pictures below






                                                                 RDO FRIDAY

Its my day off from work and I am normally frothing for a couple surfs, so with this in mind I drove down to Gilligans as the wind was forecasted to be offshore and plenty of swell as well, a touch too east but it was still hitting the Island nicely and the crowd factor was only a handful of tourist's as the tide was low and besides the locals need to sleep in, have their boiled eggs and finger toast, cup of tea and wait till at least 10 am before venturing out.



Something I did notice was how much the sand had shifted again , we went thru a bit of a flat spell for close to a month , the previous time I was down here you could almost walk directly out to the Island on full sand , not the usual hobble over rocks , so was happy to see the sand return to the Ocean and the rocks exposed again.







so after a 3 hour surf on my  4GF Standard SS surf mat , I bumped into Neal Cameron in the carpark and onto the local shop for a feed and coffee, check the Island out again , by now about 30 people out , Friday seems to be the new Saturday, so we parted company and I went in search of another surf, this time I was keen to embrace my inner kneemo and bust out my little 48" soft top KUSS KING FISH made by Softech Surfboards. It's only 22" wide but enough for me to spread my knees and the large broad base keels gives it plenty of hold and drive.





soft toys r us from adam williams on Vimeo.



                                       Paul has a new van, so SCUMM stickers are a must




DISCO INFERNO from adam williams on Vimeo.

                                       LIFE'S A BEACH







HAPPY 65TH BIRTHDAY

                                                                     #ERICWOULDGO


coco from adam williams on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment