Friday 15 July 2016

Gone Fishing






































Side Cut Fish Kneeboard

from Mick Mackie Designs 

I first started knee boarding back in the late 70's.
Riding surf mats for the best part of my teenage years, then onto a Belly Bogger for 12 months , before saving enough money to buy a second hand kneeboard . My older cousin and his friends were all riding single fin kneeboards & spoons and would take me surfing with them , so by 1979 , I had out grown the surf mat &  belly bogger, and wanted a kneeboard like my older peers...which happen to be a twin fin ' Spot ' kneeboard . I next had a twin fin from Carabine Surfboards ( pictured below with eldest son Cameron sitting proudly, he just turned 35 the other day) and 12 months later a Skipp twinnie , shaped by Ed Sinnot, which then lead me down the path of Tri Fin's , Quad's & Competition Surfing 






Some Albert Whiteman Love

Mick used to shaped out of the Friar Tuck factory down here at Kings Point, along side the late, great Albert Whiteman ; back in the early 90's, so he was stoked to use a template from one of my AW boards .













































































 

I wanted more drive over performance! 

At 54 years old, I am no shredder, I like surfing the wave , doing ( well trying) nice flowing cutbacks and top turns. I find that having broader based fin's give's me the drive that I want over performing tighter turns that the modern day fin set up's can give you. One lesson I learn't from surfing my Bonza one morning was what a difference a fin can make to your surfing, I started off with that green 'Crozier ' fin and after riding a couple of waves and the noticeable lack of drive from the board, I returned to the beach and swapped it back to the larger based fin , and what a difference it made 





























Broad Based Fin























Broad Based Timber Keels


















































gone fishing from adam williams on Vimeo.









































Mick Mackie 

Fisherman
Custom order for another friend of mine






























































































Bonzilla & Fish Fingers 




























fish from adam williams on Vimeo.


Life's a Beach

A morning at Wreck Bay































































































































































Marcus Hague

Froth Master














































Driving bottom turns using the complete length of the rail








Pipe Master

















































No comments:

Post a Comment