Saturday 7 September 2013

Edge Spoons and other Assorted Fruit



nat1


A day of Mixed Nuts and Fruits


nat


Alternative Surf Crafts


nat3


I like the Asymmetrical slab of timber the best , but NO , we did not ride it …but I did get to surf the Surfoplane and the edge spoon by Richard Palmer.



edgespoon



edgespoon-3


Richard had brought down Stuart Wissing who had been back up from Tasmania on a quick trip , and the pair were keen to hook up for a surf down at Gilligans Island. So after arriving at my place nice and early, we all piled into my old ute and drove the long 20 minutes down the road to discover that there was at least 3ft of south swell running and there was only a handful of people in the lineup.



green


By the time we got changed a few others started to arrive , one being long time local, Fire Fighter and Kneelo Paul Gleeson , pictured below with his Drift kneeboard



edgespoon-4



edgespoon-5


Paul below

edgespoon-9



edgespoon-10


Stu on the Surfoplane having some fun!

edgespoon-6



edgespoon-12



edgespoon-13



I initially paddled out with my Krypt MT5 surf mat and only caught a couple of waves on it till I had my arm twisted by Richard and swapped for a few rides of his carbon / Kevlar spoon , which felt so positive to ride.







The Surfoplane being one big long piece of rubber, and I was surprised how well it rode compared to the modern day mats like my Krypto….





Surf Equipment by Richard Palmer



nat2



edgespoon-14



Edge Spoon to the left by Richard and to the right by Neal Cameron


nat5



nat6



nat7



As you can see in the top pic, this is a tow in surfboard inspired  by the Winterstick snowboard , with Richard’s tear drop designed fins.



nat9



nat10



nat8



Below is the full video from the mornings fun








My new Edge Spoon by Neal Cameron…cannot wait to give this baby a test drive!!



neal1



Hot to Trot???


http://videomedia.aso.gov.au/titles/hottotr/hottotr1_pr.mp4



2 comments:

  1. The Surfoplane is the direct ancestor of the MT5. http://magictowelride.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/concaves-and-asymmetry.html
    Bloody great heavy things to ride though. Mine stays under the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Robin, but I finally got ride one to satisfy my curiosity !

      Delete