Friday 12 October 2012

The Cove


Mat Vision

flat-9


View from the rocks


flat10



After surfing out at Wrecky the previous day and getting rolled and bounced across the reef, I was still sore all over with a nice corked thigh to boot, so when we arrived at the carpark and looked  down our kneelo cove with not a sole out ….yep, we were out there, even if we had to limp down the track!


wa32

Having ridden my kneeboard the previous day I was keen to surf on my MT5 and give my corked thigh a break from kneeling, whilst da Bolt and Paul both rode their kneeboards, which was unusual for the da Bolt as he is normally the first one to say ‘where’s me Vespa’…na na na na matman!

da Bolt aka matman

flat-7


Paul ‘oiley’ Newman


flat-14

Message on the reef….


1


With the time confusion the daylight saving usually brings , it was great to surf this just to ourselves for close to two hours and with the incoming tide it  was also pushing the swell up, so I new it wouldn’t be long before the hoards would arrive and me being the lone mat rider amongst a flurry of foot boarders would not be good, so after having some of the best mat waves that I have ridden to date, it was easy to come in and call it quits , as surfer after surfer came scrambling down the bush track and out into the surf!



A big thank you to Paul who got out of the water and took these pics below....thanks matee!
wa9

wa10

wa11

wa12

wa13

wa14

wa15

wa16

wa17

wa18

wa19

wa20

wa4

wa5

wa6

wa7

wa8

Kneelo Cove Sequence


wa21

w1

w2

wa23

wa24

wa25

wa26

wa27

wa28

Womped!


flat-12

Highlights of the Day

1 Scoring great waves with just two friends
2 Watching Paul bust his nose with the GoPro attachment on his board
3 Learning more about controlling and riding my surf mat
4 Climbing up the track to see 20 odd surfers all looking at what we had just surfed to ourselves
5 Being told…’I cant believe you went out there on a mat’
6 Having the best brunch at Cudmirrah Shop.


wa30

wa31

View from the carpark as we leaving

flat17


A few more frame grabs and pics from the mornings surf


flat


flat-1


flat-2


flat-3


flat-5


flat-8


flat-6

flat-13


flat-15


flat-16


wa33


2


Some footage that I shot via my helmet cam

WOMP the movie





4 comments:

  1. Awesome mate. Some of the best mat riding sequences I have seen for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those waves are sick. They're smokin'. I would be out of my mind if ever I ride one of those especially that I'm not a pro in surfing. It would be dangerous. But it looks good in photos.
    piano lessons melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were fun waves Shawn and not super heavy to ride. It was great to share this with just a couple of friends and would have been totally different if another 20 guys had came out! Thanks for looking and get yourself a mat and enjoy the stoke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIHAAAAA! scored
    to bad about your nose paul

    ReplyDelete